CLEARWATER, Fla. — UPDATE:
Clearwater Police have identified the men struck by lightning on Clearwater Beach Sunday afternoon.
Arkadiusz Gacek, 37, of Des Plaines, Illinois, remains in critical condition.
Sab Keomany, 43, remains in stable condition.
An update on their condition is expected from Morton Plant Hospital Monday morning, according to the police department.
Clearwater Police say two men were struck by lightning Sunday afternoon on the north part of Clearwater Beach.
The lightning strike was reported around 2:15 p.m.
Police say when an officer reached one of the people, a 37-year-old man, he was unconscious and not breathing. He was taken to Morton Plant Hospital in critical condition.
A second person, a 43-year-old man, was a few feet away from the first and is in stable condition, police said.
The lightning strike happened on the beach at the end of Somerset Street about halfway between the water line and the dunes, according to a press release.
Both were trying to leave the beach as the weather deteriorated when the strike occurred, police said.
Check back for updates on this developing story.
- Florida adds another 10,059 coronavirus cases in one day
- Clearwater Fire Medics deliver baby boy on Courtney Campbell beach
- Deadly amoeba that destroys brain infects person in Hillsborough County, health department warns
- 'Pooled' coronavirus testing would help track the virus, but we may not have the supplies to do it just yet
- On nation's birthday, President Trump criticizes enemies
- Disney World Annual Passholders accidentally charged for months parks were closed for COVID-19
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter