x
Breaking News
More () »

San Antonio's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | San Antonio, Texas | KENS5.com

Multiple Coastal Bend school districts closed Monday due to Tropical Storm Beta, other schools on alert. Here's what we know.

As of right now classes will resume on Tuesday.

PORT ARANSAS, Texas — SCHOOL DISTRICTS THAT HAVE CANCELED ALL CLASSES DUE TO TS BETA:

  • PORT ARANSAS ISD
  • ARANSAS COUNTY ISD
  • WOODSBORO ISD
  • AUSTWELL-TIVOLI ISD

Due to Tropical Storm Beta Austwell-Tivoli ISD will be closed Tuesday September 22. The district says remote instruction will continue taking place. 

The City of Port Aransas issued a disaster declaration and is closing beaches as eyes are on Tropical Storm Beta. Port Aransas ISD is closing Monday due to the tropical storm.

The district stating, “After meeting with emergency management officials and taking everything in consideration, I have made the decision to make Monday, September 21st a “bad weather day”. There will be no school on campus Monday. There will also be no remote learning on Monday since there is a strong possibility that electricity and internet will be impacted by the weather.”

Staff will not need to report to campus on Monday unless instructed to do so.

The district says they will be monitoring the weather and road conditions on Monday. Classes will resume normally on Tuesday as of now.

Aransas County ISD is also canceling all classes, both virtual and in-person, due to the tropical storm.

Here's what the district said:

Tropical Storm Beta: Update #3 Good evening, ACISD staff and families. After the Sunday afternoon 4 p.m. National...

Posted by Aransas County ISD on Sunday, September 20, 2020

Tropical Storm Beta: Update #3

Good evening, ACISD staff and families.

After the Sunday afternoon 4 p.m. National Weather Service update, we have determined the following: 

• While weather conditions are looking more favorable for our area, Rockport-Fulton still remains in the cone for possible landfall so we will hold to our decision to remain closed with no virtual instruction on Monday. 

• We will send an update to staff and families regarding Tuesday’s plan on Monday morning after we’ve had time to determine the track of the storm through the night.

Please remember that local officials have asked that we caution families against visiting areas with high tides to avoid safety risks.  

We will continue to provide information as forecast models evolve. Thank you, and please remember to stay tuned to local weather services. 

Esta es una actualización sobre el cierre de escuelas relacionado con la Tormenta Tropical Beta. Después de la actualización del Servicio Meteorológico Nacional a las 4 pm del domingo por la tarde, hemos determinado lo siguiente:

Si bien las condiciones climáticas se ven más favorables para nuestra área, Rockport-Fulton aún permanece en el cono para una posible llegada a tierra, por lo que mantendremos nuestra decisión de permanecer cerrados con no hay instrucción virtual el lunes.

Enviaremos una actualización al personal y las familias con respecto al plan del martes el lunes por la mañana después de que hayamos tenido tiempo de determinar la trayectoria de la tormenta durante la noche.

Recuerde que los funcionarios locales nos han pedido que advirtamos a las familias que no visiten áreas con mareas altas para evitar riesgos de seguridad.  

Continuaremos brindando información a medida que evolucionen los modelos de pronóstico. Gracias, y recuerde estar atento a los servicios meteorológicos locales.