WATERTOWN, N.Y. — A judge handed down 10 years' probation last week to a former New York school bus driver after he admitted to raping a 14-year-old girl.
Shane Piche, 26, will be registered as a Level 1 sex offender, according to the Waterford Daily Times. The judge reportedly said because he had no prior arrests and there was one victim, the sentence was appropriate.
Level 1 is considered the lowest risk level out of three, and Piche will not be included in online sex offender databases.
He pleaded guilty in February to raping a 14-year-old girl who he met through his job as a bus driver with the city's school district, the newspaper reports.
Piche also was charged with unlawfully dealing with a child and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly gave the girl alcohol.
The Times reports Piche is required to pay $375 in court fees and surcharges, plus a $1,000 special sex offender registration fee.
What other people are reading right now:
- YouTuber's livestream captures video of semi-truck moments before fiery I-70 crash
- CBD: Pet owners are swearing by it, but some veterinarians aren’t totally sold
- Be your own vaccine investigator with this interactive map
- Carjacking turns deadly in Pasco County, law enforcement says
- 3-year-old drowns after kayak capsizes
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.