Breaking News
More () »

Second suspect in custody, accused of shooting Balcones Heights police sergeant

The two brothers have been charged with attempted capital murder.

SAN ANTONIO — The Bexar County Sheriff's Office posted on Facebook that Wilfredo Montemayor, the remaining suspect accused of shooting a Balcones Heights police sergeant, has been caught. Meanwhile, a fundraiser has started to help Sgt. Joey Sepulveda.

Wilfredo, 27, was taken into custody by BCSO SWAT Deputies in the 2400 Block of NE Loop 410 around 12:18 p.m Saturday. Sheriff Javier Salazar said a member of the BCSO SWAT team noticed his eyebrows, and recognized him despite the suspect having shaved his head. 

Later that day, Montemayor walked into jail with a straight face as he said nothing while being pressed by reporters. 

Salazar noted the conversations Wilfredo had with investigators painted a disturbing picture of his thought-process going into shooting a police officer.  

“He was very matter-of-fact in talking about his role in of the shooting; it would literally chill your blood to hear just the lack of emotion,” Salazar said. 

Balcones Heights Police Chief John Jahanara expressed gratitude for the multi-agency effort in apprehending both suspects. 

Montemayor's brother, 30-year-old Sijifredo Montemayor, was taken into custody Thursday in the north Mexico state of Tamaulipas. 

While walking into the Bexar County Jail two days later, Sijifredo, speaking in Spanish, said he regretted what happened to the officer, adding he would pray for him. He also said he came back for his family.

"I love my family," he said. "All day, every day."

According to the sheriff, the suspect shot Balcones Heights Police Sgt. Sepulveda point-blank and kept shooting him after he ran for cover behind a vehicle.

The incident was reported at 6945 IH-10 West, which is the address for the SOL Apartments in Balcones Heights, on the southeast side of the I-10 and Loop 410 interchange.

Salazar said on Saturday afternoon that there remains the possibility of charges being filed against the suspects' relatives down the road. 

Meanwhile, focus remains on the recovery of Sepulveda, an officer who’s been serving to protect for more than 20 years.  

“It’s almost a miracle where he’s at today,” Jahanara said.  

The chief said Sepulveda is walking, talking and thinking about officer Edgar Ortiz, who was there to assist him the day of the shooting.  

“I think he was a little more concerned for his partner, his partner that was there that actually went into quick action to save his life,” he said.  

Both suspects face charges of attempted capital murder, with bonds totaling $1.5 million.

A fundraiser has been started to raise money for Sgt. Sepulveda's family. Click here if you are interested in helping.

Before You Leave, Check This Out