CEDAR HILL, Texas — A student at Highlands Elementary in Cedar Hill died after choking on a piece of food at lunch, according to a letter sent from the Cedar Hill ISD superintendent to parents.
Cedar Hill ISD confirmed to WFAA a student died at the hospital on Friday after being transported from the school.
In the letter, Dr. Gerald Hudson said campus staff members "responded immediately and called Emergency Medical Services for assistance."
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of the scholar, her family, friends, teachers, and all who knew her," Hudson said.
Cedar Hill ISD sent WFAA the following statement on behalf of the superintendent:
"Cedar Hill ISD has experienced an unimaginable tragedy today with the passing of one of our elementary scholars. The CHISD community is grieving with the family, classmates, and friends of the child. Grief counselors were on hand today and will be there Monday to support the campus. This is a difficult time for everyone, but I know our Longhorn family will lean on each other as we remember our fellow student and her family.”
There was not any other information immediately available.
More Texas headlines: