SAN ANTONIO -- A 15-year-old boy is being praised as a hero after he saved his family from their burning home.

The fire started right by Raymond Carter’s bedroom. The family said that they’re grateful that he stayed up later than he was supposed to. Otherwise, they might not be here.

The stained walls, glass shards, and empty shell of a home are all now a painful reminder of what happened last Monday around midnight.

“I'm very proud of my son,” said Rasheena Carter, Raymond’s mom. “Because without him we wouldn't be here right now.”

The Carter family was asleep that night, except for 15-year-old Raymond.

“I was just up. Doing chores. And then, that's when it happened,” Raymond said.

He remembers seeing flames coming out of his younger brother's room and woke everyone up.

“The chief said we would have died,” Rasheena said. “He thought smart, he thought quick and fast.”

But Raymond didn't stop there, though. Once his family was safely outside, he ran over to his neighbor's to get them out of their homes.

The family said that they're slowly recovering from the loss.

“With us having 5 children, it is hard starting over,” Rasheena said.

They said that they’re trying to focus on keeping what's most important to them.

“I'm just happy that, you know, we're still alive and everything, and I'm still going to school,” Raymond said.

“We're staying strong,” Rasheena said. “We're trying to keep our support around us and keeping God first. We're praying.”

The family was told that the cause of the fire was electrical.

Financially, though, it's been tough. They did not have renter's insurance. They said that the landlord gave back the security deposit and is charging them a pro-rated rent for the month.

Friends of the family have started a GoFundMe account. If you would like to contribute, CLICK HERE.