BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Hand hygiene is an important tool in the fight against COVID-19, along with social distancing and wearing a mask.
And yes, there is a right way to wash your hands.
- Use warm water (not cold or hot) to wet hands
- Apply soap
- Wash both sides of your hands
- Wash your wrists
- Wash between your fingers
- Wash around your nails (germs like to hide there)
- Sing the “Happy Birthday” song two times while washing (or any other favorite song that lasts about 20 seconds
- Rinse hands and dry well with a clean towel
- Remind your friends to wash their hands
If you can't wash your hands regularly, use a hand sanitizer that is at least 60% ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or 70% isopropanol alcohol (isopropyl alcohol).