SAN ANTONIO — San Antonio and most of south-central Texas experienced an arctic blast this week with freezing temperatures, icy conditions and snow.
It led to several closings San Antonio and the surrounding area.
Below is an updated list of the school districts in our area that have announced closings or delays:
- Comal ISD: Closed Monday, Feb. 22 as student holiday, teacher prep day.
- Northside ISD: The majority of the district will return to school Monday, Feb. 22, but Mora Elementary and Harlan High will keep classes all-virtual due to ongoing repairs.
- Pearsall ISD: Monday, Feb. 22 will be a planning/work day for staff. Students may return Tuesday, Feb. 23.
- KIPP Texas Schools: Closed on Monday, Feb. 22, due to ongoing power outages and repairs. Asynchronous instruction will be offered for Tuesday, and virtual instruction for Wednesday.
- San Antonio College: Classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 22.
- Schreiner University: Classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 22.
- Southwest School of Art: College classes will resume Monday, Feb. 22.
- Texas A&M San Antonio: Classes resumed Saturday, Feb. 20.
- Texas State University: Classes resumed Saturday, Feb. 20.
- Trinity University: Classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 22.
- UIW: More information is available here.
- UTSA: Classes will resume on Monday, Feb. 22.
Vaccine clinic closings
- City of San Antonio: If you had an appointment for the Alamodome for Friday morning, Feb. 19, you can show up any time between 12 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Also, if you had an appointment Monday-Thursday, the following reschedules were made:
- University Health: Those who had appointments to get the vaccine on Friday, Feb. 19, will automatically be rescheduled (see below). Here's the latest from University Health:
We understand many people were not able to make their appointments this week due to the weather and have scheduled make-up days for Saturday, Monday and Tuesday:
- All Monday, Feb. 15 appointments have been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 20 at the same time.*
- Those who missed their appointment on Tuesday, Feb. 16, who did not come the next day, should come on Saturday, Feb. 20, anytime between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Those who missed their appointment on Wednesday, Feb. 17, may come on Saturday, Feb. 20, Monday, Feb. 22 or Tuesday, Feb. 23, anytime between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- All Thursday, Feb. 18 appointments are rescheduled for Monday, Feb. 22 at the same time.*
- All Friday, Feb. 19 appointments are rescheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 23 at the same time.*
*Coming at the appointed time will help reduce lines. However, if people are not able to come at that time, they will not be turned away as long as they come to Wonderland on their new scheduled day.
- WellMed: Two WellMed-run community vaccination clinics will resume on Monday, Feb. 22. The clinics at the Elvira Cisneros Senior Community Center (517 SW Military) and Alicia Trevino Lopez One-Stop Center (8353 Culebra) will administer shots by appointment only. Walk-ins are not accepted. Patients scheduled to receive their second COVID-19 vaccinations this week at these clinics should return next week to their assigned location on the same day of the week to receive their shot. For example, if you were scheduled to receive your shot at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 17 at the Lopez center, you will go to the Lopez center at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 24. These clinics, operated in partnership with the City of San Antonio, administer the Moderna vaccine. Patients scheduled to return this week were to receive a second dose 28 days after their first shot. The Centers for Disease Control says the second dose may be administered up to 42 days after the initial dose for the two-shot regimen to remain effective.
PHOTO GALLERY: Snow and ice bring winter wonderland to San Antonio area
Get the last weather news straight to your phone. You can download it in the App Store or Google Play. Also be sure to follow KENS 5 on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram for updates on the weather.
Follow the KENS 5 Weather Team