KERRVILLE, Texas — A 10-year-old girl is being called a hero after she helped save her family from a fast-moving fire spreading through their home. And it was all because of something she learned at school.

Early Tuesday morning, Madaline Munoz woke up to a scratchy throat and had trouble breathing.

She quickly realized that something was wrong.

“I saw smoke coming into my room, like a wave,” she said.

That’s when she jumped into action. Madaline said she went out into the hallway and got down on her hands and knees to crawl to the front door, calling for her mother to wake up.

The fast-moving fire was separating Madaline and her parents, who were sleeping at the other end of the hallway.

When she got to the front door, she lightly tapped the doorknob to make sure it wasn’t hot and ran next door to her grandparent’s house.

Her grandfather called 911 and help was on its way.

Due to Madaline’s courage, her parents got out safe before the flames trapped them in the house.

“We would have been stuck in the room,” said her mother, Shiree Reeder.

The Kerr County Sheriff posted on Facebook Wednesday, calling Madaline a hero. But she said it’s just something she learned while at school.

“The fire department comes out and teaches kids what to do in case of fire,” she said. 

It's a lesson that has now been put to good use, outside of classroom walls. 

“She saved our lives and we owe everything to her for that,” Reeder said.

Madaline said she just did what the firefighters taught her.

“The firefighter stuff I learned about just popped in my head, and I did it,” she said.

While the family lost everything in the fire, Reeder said they will be staying with friends and family until they can get back on their feet.

She said they need clothes for Madaline and her 11-year-old brother.

Reeder said both children wear a size 14-16 in clothes and a size 7 in shoes.

If you’d like to help Madaline and her family, you can send an email to news@kens5.com.