Standoff ends with woman dead, suspect and deputies injured

Two SWAT team members were injured during a standoff that has lasted several hours in northwest Bexar County. The standoff ended just before 8 pm on Wednesday.

After about 24 hours, a standoff on the northwest side of Bexar County ended and the suspect was been taken into custody. He was injured.

Sheriff's Office officials have confirmed the suspect is 60-year-old Fernando Macias. He faces charges of attempted capital murder of police.

Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said that when deputies entered the residence, the elderly woman that was with Macias was found dead. Sheriff Salazar says that she appeared to have suffered some kind of trauma but they don't know how or when she died.

Loading ...

Two Bexar County deputies were also injured in a standoff that began Tuesday night.

It all started around 6 p.m. Tuesday in northwest Bexar County on Saddle Trail near Boerne Stage Road.

Sheriff’s deputies from the mental health unit were serving a warrant to Macias. They were also doing a welfare check on his mom, an elderly woman in her 80’s who lives with him.

When deputies entered through the front door, they were met with gunfire. Sheriff Javier Salazar said the suspect was using a handgun.

They called for SWAT and negotiators to try to make contact with the man. At one point, he came out and fired several shots in the direction of the deputies. They took cover and no one was hurt.

The standoff continued through the early morning hours Wednesday, when SWAT entered the home once again, hoping to find the elderly woman.

There was an exchange of gunfire again between Macias and the SWAT team, this time with a rifle.

Deputies say they found several propane tanks inside the home that appeared to be staged to create an explosive. Deputies believe the man was targeting those tanks in an effort to get them to explode.

One of the deputies suffered injuries to the face from shrapnel and the other suffered wounds to his arm.

One officer was transported to the hospital where he got stitches on his face. The other officer was treated at the scene.