Mayor Julian Castro is taking a stand to reduce teen pregnancy.
The mayor tackled the subject at a Tuesday lunch benefiting Health Futures of Texas, a program on a mission to reduce teenage and unplanned pregnancy in San Antonio and across Texas.
Castro and other dignitaries addressed why this issue is critically important to the community:
- One in two Hispanics girls in the U.S. will get pregnant as a teenager.
- The 3,854 babies born to Bexar teens in 2008 will fill 175 kindergarten classes in 2013.
- Children of teen mothers are more likely to be born prematurely and at low birth weight.
- Parenthood is the most common reason that girls drop out of high school.
- Reducing teenage pregnancy is a battle we can win.
For more information call 210-223-4589.