GRAPEVINE After an intensive four-day manhunt, fugitive Alberto Morales was shot and killed near Grapevine Lake late Friday night, according to Grapevine police.

I'm just so elated, said one neighborhood resident. I'm so happy; I'm so relieved that this man's been caught and we don't have to be on such a lookout.

The beginning of the end for Morales came less than three miles north of the Walmart parking lot where he made his violent escape Monday night.

Police responded to a residential burglary report about 5 p.m. Friday and discovered men s clothes and jewelry had been taken.

The task force grew suspicious with the theft of clothing, and refocused its search for Morales near the 2100 block of Forest Hills Road, where the burglary happened.

Morales was eventually found just before midnight in a wooded area about 100 yards from the Lake Forest Boat Club with the help of the Fort Worth police helicopter. He was killed as a result of the fugitive's actions during a foot pursuit, Grapevine police spokesman Sgt. Robert Eberling said.

At this point, as far as the investigation's concerned, Mr. Morales was shot and is now deceased, Sgt. Eberling added. We're really relieved for the citizens of this community. We knew we had a dangerous individual out there on the streets, and he was capable of being extremely violent.

Grapevine police would not immediately say whether Morales had a weapon, but confirmed that he had removed any shackles that were in place when he escaped. He was wearing jogging pants and part of his prison-issued jumpsuit.

Morales considered armed and extremely dangerous had been at large after stabbing Miami-Dade County Detective Jamie Pardinas with a pair of eyeglasses Monday night as he was in transit to Las Vegas for a trial.

The violent escape happened in the parking lot of a Walmart store at the corner of Highway 26 and Highway 114 in Grapevine, about 2.6 miles south of where Morales was gunned down.

For days, fear and anxiety grew in Grapevine and surrounding cities after Morales eluded capture. Schools even went on lockdown multiple days this week as a precaution.

Neighbors told News 8 on Facebook and Twitter that they could hear gunshots late Friday night when police finally cornered Morales. One person said the fleeing felon was felled in a horse pasture near some boat houses at Lake Grapevine.

The Miami-Dade County Police Department also confirmed to News 8 that Morales had been killed. Its officer is still recovering at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, but he was expected to be released soon and make a full recovery.

The body was taken to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office as several dozen officers gathered evidence at the scene.

WFAA Photojournalist Robert Flagg contributed to this report.

Read or Share this story: