CIBOLO, Texas -- Police say a Bexar County man shot a former co-worker several times on Friday morning before driving to a nearby subdivision and turning the gun on himself

Robert Merrick, 38, was shot twice through the neck and once through the leg while attempting to flee from 49-year-old Paul Michael Horton.

Horton allegedly confronted Merrick at the end of Merrick's driveway in the 100 block of Borgfeld Road around 7:20 a.m.

He skidded to a halt, was waiting for me and got out of his car and raised his pistol, Merrick said.

The victim said Horton fired several rounds from a large pistol into the driver's side door, then several more shots into the back of Merrick's Hyundai as he sped off.

I thought I was going to die because I'd been hit in the head and the neck and it was a big gun, Merrick said.

Horton followed Merrick for a few blocks before turning into the Bentwood Ranch subdivision.

According to Cibolo police, Horton took his own life around 8 a.m. at the subdivision's community facility.

Merrick drove himself to the Cibolo Police Department and was then rushed to San Antonio Military Medical Center.

I was scared and I didn't want him to chase me and finish me off, he said. I just wanted to go somewhere where someone had a gun to protect me.

Merrick and Horton were once co-workers at DOCUMation, a business technology company in San Antonio.

Merrick left the company in late October of this year, and Horton left in early November.

DOCUMation Senior Vice-President John Barbieri told KENS 5 the two men were friends while they worked for the company.

We feel horrible at what happened today, Barbieri said.

Merrick said he told managers several times that Horton had a federal criminal record and was often high on methamphetamine while at work.

Barbieri would neither confirm nor deny those complaints.

Federal court records show that Horton was sentenced to 15 months in prison in 2007 after being convicted of being a methamphetamine user in possession of explosives.

Merrick was released from the hospital Friday afternoon with two large wounds on the back of his neck. He said bullets came a few centimeters from hitting his spinal cord.

I lived. I'm so glad I lived, Merrick said.

Read or Share this story: