SANANTONIO -- A San Antonio mother is credited with saving her baby s life. She jumped in to perform CPR when her infant stopped breathing. The outcome, doctors say, is nothing short of a miracle.

Three-month-old Ashlynn Flores went home from the hospital on Friday, May 18, 2012. That was big news for her family.

Her mother was feeding her in the middle of the night when the unthinkable happened. She stopped breathing.

When I laid her back, her eyes just tolled back and she looked pale, Ashley Sanchez said, Ashlynn s mother. I laid her right there and I just began the CPR the best way I could and I kept doing it for at least five minutes.

Mom continued chest compressions and breaths on the ride to Mission Trail Baptist Hospital near their home.

Then, thanks to a special pediatric transport partnership with AirLIFE, Ashlynn was taken to North Central Baptist Hospital for intense treatment. Viral pneumonia triggered the problem.

She arrived to the other hospital not breathing at all. No heart beat. No pulse, said pediatric critical care specialist Dr. Samuel Zuckerman. But she was able to maintain her well enough that they could get her resuscitated at the other hospital and she s a marvelous, wonderful rescue.

Doctors used a special cooling bed to bring the baby s temperature down to 94 degrees to cut down on brain swelling and damage, a therapy called induced hypothermia. She was on breathing machines for several weeks.

Ashlynn is clear to return home now to her parents and six siblings. Doctors credit her mother s instinctive CPR with saving her daughter s life.

I just kept doing it and doing it, Sanchez said. I never did it before.

She did it and she successfully did it and brought our daughter back to life, said Ashlynn s father Donny Flores. And my daughter s here now.

She s here because of her mom, Zuckerman said.

Learning infant CPR is fairly straightforward. That s why many experts say parents, grandparents and babysitters all need to be trained so they won t hesitate to try and save a life in an emergency.

Read or Share this story: