SAN ANTONIO -- Firefighters say faulty wiring is to blame for an early morning fire that destroyed a portion of a family's home in the 700 block of Fulton Avenue.

Firefighters with the San Antonio Fire Department said flames were coming from the back of the house when they arrived just after 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

The family of five escaped after waking up to smoke, firefighters said. No one was injured.

Two nearby homes were evacuated because of a gas line that was later repaired by CPS Energy. They were eventually allowed back inside their homes.

The displaced family -- two adults and three children -- are staying with family members.

Fire investigators estimated damage to the home at $80,000.

Firefighters originally thought candles in the back of the house may have started the fire.

Read or Share this story: