A 10-year-old boy who was bitten by a rattlesnake at school Wednesday was allowed to touch the snake by an assistant at an after-school program, the North East ISD confirmed to KENS 5 on Friday.

The incident was initially described as an accidental encounter between the snake and the child on the playground at Longs Creek Elementary.

The boy was rushed to the hospital and was expected to make a full recovery.

The assistant was not forthcoming about what happened, NEISD spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor said.

Further investigation by NEISD officials found that the after-school assistant let the boy touch the snake.

That employee, a 24-year-old who had been with the district for two years, was fired Thursday, Chancellor said.

The assistant had told other kids to stand back when the snake was seen, but she allowed one boy to touch the snake, Chancellor said.

There is absolutely no question that the assistant used poor judgment and did not act appropriately, and that is why she no longer works for the district, she said.

Obviously we're thoroughly disappointed that this employee showed poor judgment, Chancellor said.

Read or Share this story: