SAN ANTONIO -- The Canyon High School student air-lifted to a hospital after a fight Tuesday has died, Julie Jerome with Comal ISD confirmed Thursday morning.

A student-led candle vigil was held Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Canyon High School courtyard area.

According to the Bexar County Medical Examiner's Office, 15-year-old Logan Davidson was received from University Hospital late Wednesday evening.

Police said emergency responders found Davidson in a hallway, knocked unconscious and bleeding from the face, after being punched twice by another 15-year-old.

The campus was locked down temporarily Tuesday morning while the fight was broken up and the student transported to an area hospital via medical helicopter with serious injuries, a district spokesperson said.

This was an assault, Captain John McDonald with the New Braunfels police said. Both of these young men were in the same classroom when the bell rang. And the victim walked out of the classroom where the offender was waiting for him and assaulted him.

The entire attack was recorded by surveillance cameras and police have reviewed the footage.

The juvenile suspect was arrested and has been charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, according to the New Braunfels Police Department. He is currently being detained at the Guadalupe County Juvenile Detention Center.

Any further or enhanced criminal charges will be at the discretion of the Comal County District Attorney's Office, a press release issued by the New Braunfels Police Department said.

Comal ISD Superintendent Andrew Kim said neither student had previous disciplinary issues and there was no information to suggest an ongoing problem between the two students.

As far as I know, there was not an issue of bullying or any of that nature between the two students at all, Kim said. I think that makes it a little bit more shocking to us about the situation.

Comal ISD said counselors would be at the high school to speak with students and staff who may have witnessed the fight.

Superintendent Kim released the following statement:

It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of one of our Canyon High School students involved in Tuesday's altercation. Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of both students involved and we will all work to protect their privacy during this difficult time. Campus and district counselors will be available throughout the week at CHS to assist students and staff process this shocking and tragic event.

The incident is still under investigation by the New Braunfels Police Department Criminal Investigations Unit.

Read or Share this story: