LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

SAN ANTONIO -- Firefighters say a toxic combination of household hazards caused a fire that totally destroyed a San Antonio home late Thursday afternoon.

The inferno erupted after the homeowner activated an insect fogger in the garage, near a hot water heater.

There's a chemical inside these insect foggers that's extremely flammable. So any time you use those, it's important to make sure your pilot lights are out. That could be on water heaters, you know some old stoves still have pilot lights, said Christian Bove with the San Antonio Fire Department.

Luckily, no one was home at the time of the fire. But, two firefighters did suffer minor burns putting out the blaze.

SAFD said the fire is a reminder of the dangers.

Each of these bug bombs, it has directions on it, said Bove. And it states specifically, you know, it's extremely flammable. Just often times people don't read directions. But they're there for a reason. They could save your life.

The fire caused more than $100,000 worth of damage, gutting both the house and garage.

Read or Share this story: http://www.kens5.com/story/news/local/2014/06/25/10322228/