LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

SAN ANTONIO -- The Hays Street Bridge near Hays Street and Cherry Street was first built over the Nueces River in 1881.

It wasmoved over the Union Pacific railroad tracks in 1910 to accommodate vehicular traffic. But, in 1982 it was deemed structurally unsound and barricaded.

For 28 years the bridge sat idle with many people requesting it be demolished. The city eventually acquired the bridge from Union Pacific. The rehabilitation effort cost $3.7 million.

Tuesdaythe bridge, which linksdowntown to the Dignowity Hill Historical District and the eastside, was reopened to pedestrians and bicyclists.

TheOffice of Historic Preservation hasissued an invitation forrunners to attend the Eastside Running Tour on Saturday, July 24.

The guided running tourkicks off at 7:30 a.m. at the Carver Community Cultural Center.

Along the route there are planned stops at key historical points of interest on the east side, including the Dignowity Hill Historical District, Ellis Alley and Sunset Station.

Read or Share this story: http://www.kens5.com/story/news/local/2014/06/16/10639129/