SAN ANTONIO -- Wednesday marked the first day parents may pre-enroll their children for the city's new Pre-K 4 SA program.
The pre-kindergarten program will provide full-day education for 700 4-year-olds at two model education centers in its first year.
The 700 children will be chosen through a lottery system in June. Parents will be notified of their acceptance in July.
Enrollment is free for 4-year-olds and for students who will be turning 4 by Sept. 1. Enrollment is also free for families who meet at least one of the eligibility criteria:
- Eligible for free or reduced lunch (families at 185 percent of the federal poverty level)
- English is a second language
- Comes from a homeless family
- Child of an active duty member of the U.S. armed forces
- Child of a member of the U.S. armed forces who was injured or killed while serving
- Is or has been in foster care
Parents must show proof of residence in San Antonio and Bexar County in order to register. They can bring a CPS Energy, SAWS or Time Warner Cable bill or other utility bill to the following pre-enrollment fairs:
- May 1: Antioch Sports Complex and Community Center, 314 Eross St., 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 2:Miller's Pont Community Center, 5175 Old Pearsall Road, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 4: Park Hills Baptist Church, 17747 San Pedro Ave., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 4: Harlandale High School, 114 E. Gerard Ave., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 6: Cuellar Park Community Center, 5626 San Fernando St., 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 6: Alicia Trevino Lopez Senior Center, 8353 Culebra Road, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 7: Woodlawn Gymnasium, 1103 Cincinnati Ave., 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 8: UTSA 1604 Campus, 1 UTSA Circle Universty Center Ballroom 1 & 2, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 8: South San Antonio Admin. Office Auditorium, 5622 Ray Ellison Drive, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 9: Morgan's Wonderland, 5223 David Edward Drive, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 9: Second Baptist Church Community Center, 3310 E. Commerce St., 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Walk-ins will be taken on weekdays on May 13 through May 31 at the following locations:
- Cortez Branch Library, 2803 Hunter Blvd., noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays)
- Maverick Branch Library, 8700 Mystic Park, noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays)
- Mission Branch Library, 3134 Roosevelt, noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays)
- Willie Valasquez Learning Center, 1302 N. Zarzamora, noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays)
- Claude Black Community Center, 2805 E. Commerce, noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays)
- Thousand Oaks Branch Library, 4618 Thousand Oaks, noon to 5 p.m. (noon to 7 p.m. on Mondays)