San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood announced funding for a new city fire museum.
In conjunction with the San Antonio Museum Society, the new site of the museum will be the historic FireStation #1, located adjacent to the Alamo at 801 E. Houston.
Fire Station#1 was built in the 1930s and is just too small to accommodate the modern fire-fighting equipment. The new fire station at Cherry and Nolan Streets will replace the historic fire house. Once that is up and running, the E. Houston fire station will be restored to house the San Antonio Fire Museum.
The first San Antonio fire-fighting services began in 1854, 18 years after the Battle of the Alamo. The San Antonio Fire Departmentis one of the oldest continuously-operating fire departments in the country.
The newly installed members of theSan Antonio Fire Museum Society 2010 Board of Directors are: Retired U.S. Army Major General Alfred Valenzuela, Dan Gostylo, Yolanda Arellano, Marc Wall, Charles Barrett, Jennifer L. Scroggins, Gilbert E. Barrera, City Councilwoman Mary Alice Cisneros, Patsy Sasek, Debbie Margozewitz, Representative Ruth Jones McClendon and Tino Duran.