Tony Romo read a statement in a press conference on Tuesday in which he endorsed Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott as the starter in Dallas.
In the statement, Romo talked about the emotions he's gone through in getting hurt and returning to full health only to come back and realize that he's lost his job as a starter.
"He's earned the right to be our quarterback. As hard as that is for me to say, he's earned that right. He's gotten our team to an 8-1 record, and that's hard to do," Romo said. "If you think for a second that I don't want to be out there, then you've probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn't left me. In fact, it may burn now more than ever."
Romo only played in four games in the 2015 season before getting hurt and lost for the season and hasn't played since then because of the emergence of Prescott as one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL this year. As he got healthy and ready to take the field again, fans and the media wondered whether Jerry Jones and the Cowboys coaching staff would give him his job back or keep riding Prescott and his stellar season.
Romo talked about how he doesn't want that to be a story and how he doesn't want to be a distraction.
"It's not always easy to watch. I think anybody who's been in this position understands that. What is clear is that I was that kid once, stepping in having to prove yourself," Romo said. "I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. It really is an incredible time in your life. And if I remember one thing from back then, it's the people that helped me along when I was young. And if I can be that to Dak, I've tried to be and I will be there for him. I think you all know something magical is happening to our team. I'm not going to allow this situation to negatively affect Dak or this football team by becoming a constant distraction. I think Dak knows that I have his back and I think I know that he has mine."
For the full statement, watch the video below:
(© 2017 KENS)