Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl wraps up second day of interview with Army General

SAN ANTONIO-- The interview phase with Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl wrapped up today. Now the Army General conducting the investigation will generate a report. The appointing authority issued an August 16 deadline for the report, but the investigator could request an extension.

From the report the Army will determine whether the 28-year-old soldier is prosecuted for deserting his post or if he should face other disciplinary action.

Sgt. Bergdahl went missing in June of 2009 while serving in Afghanistan. The U.S. Army is now trying to determine exactly what happened.

Sgt. Bergdahl was rescued in exchange for five Taliban prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. He arrived in the United States on June 13.

The Major General leading the investigation could also recommend no action be taken.

Today, Sgt. Bergdahl's attorney said the soldier was pleased to have the opportunity to share his account of what happened.

"He's very anxious to have this over and he's a grateful human being," said Sgt. Bergdahl's Attorney, Eugene Fidell. "Exercise some patience wait for events to unfold that may be difficult. It's certainly difficult for Sgt. Bergdahl who's very anxious to move on to the next chapter of his life and close the current chapter."

The audio of the interview was recorded but there were no video cameras. Attorney Fidell described the atmosphere as cordial and casual at all times.

Fidell said Sgt. Bergdahl would like to go to college. For now he is in a holding pattern stationed at Fort Sam Houston on an administrative job. He said his client has an amazing story of survival and what he's going through now is easy compared to the five years he spent in the hands of the Taliban.

"We're talking about a guy who is a pretty tough hombre," said Fidell. "He's very aware of his debt to President Obama for saving his life it was a matter of saving his life it is a matter of saving his life. Here's a man who has had a near death experience and we're not talking about an instantaneous near death experience, we're talking about five years of near death experiences and he's the rare person that can tell the tale after that kind of ordeal."

The report submitted by the Army General is important but it is not the last word. It will be reviewed by others in the military before it is made final.

Ultimately, Sgt. Bergdahl's superiors will determine what happens next.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment