SAN ANTONIO – On July 14, get ready to hop on North America’s first-ever drop tower virtual reality ride at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
On Thursday, the roller coaster theme park announced the newest addition to the park, Drop of Doom VR will ‘drop’ on July 14 as part of the park’s 25th anniversary season. Fiesta Texas partnered with Samsung Electronics America, Inc. to create the spider-infested virtual reality experience.
San Antonio will be the home of the country’s first-ever drop tower that uses the virtual reality technology. The exciting ride will immerse thrill-seekers in a mixed reality where they’ll encounter a battle against giant mutant spiders.
“The innovative technology of Samsung Gear VR allows us to create a variety of different experiences on various rides like this newest version of our Scream Tower Drop attraction. Riders on Drop of Doom will be immersed in a mixed reality where they can battle giant spiders by firing defensive blasts from their headset,” said Park President Jeffrey Siebert.
Siebert said their technology debuted last summer on Superman Krypton Coaster where guests battled Lex Luther for control of Metropolis. Not only was that incredibly popular said Siebert, but the latest version with Drop of Doom is even more advanced.
Riders will be using Samsung Gear VR-powered by Oculus. With the VR gear on, they will become pilots of a futuristic gunship under attack by mutant spiders.
The interactive adventure features:
- A high speed virtual vertical ascent up 100 stories, while teetering on the edge of a helicopter;
- A 360-degree rotating view high above massive city skyscrapers that are under siege by enormous spiders;
- A high-intensity gun battle against a giant arachnid, spewing baby spiders that virtually crawl all over the rider’s body;
- A thrilling virtual 100-story fiery plunge straight down between towering skyscrapers; and
- The final showdown with a spider the size of a van, teeth-gnashing and in full attack mode.
For a limited time only, park guests will be able to experience the Drop of Doom VR attraction for free with park admission.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is open on the weekends through May 14. It will open for summer daily operation beginning on May 19.
© 2017 KENS-TV