The holidays are a time for family, friends, and fun. But a little too much fun involving alcohol can land you in the hospital. Dr. Bruce Adams, the chief of emergency medicine at University Hospital says that there’s a unique illness called "holiday heart."
"That typically comes up on New Year's Day. Someone drank a whole lot of booze the night before, they come in, and they are actually having a type of heart attack. They have a special rhythm the heart flips into if they have too much alcohol, and they need to come to the emergency room and get admitted to the hospital," Dr. Adams said.
The best way to avoid this is to drink in moderation.
Something else to avoid is carbon monoxide poisoning. Space heaters used in colder weather are often the culprit.
"It basically feels like the flu,” Dr. Adams explained. “You get a headache, you feel kind of woozy, and sometimes you will say, ‘I won't even bother,’ and sure enough they have carbon monoxide poisoning."
Make sure you have approved appliances and heating devices and open ventilation around the home to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
"And this is really important, to have in your home have a carbon monoxide detector at home to save lives,” Dr. Adams noted.
Button batteries are very popular and used in many toys and electronics. But if you have kids, the last place you want to keep them is under your Christmas tree.
"If a child swallows these batteries, it's horrible. It will literally dissolve a hole in the child's esophagus," Dr. Adams warned. "If your child swallows a button battery, you have to call South Texas Poison Center right away."
That number is 1-800-222-1222.
For more men's health information, call 210-358-3045. You can also find the rest of our Real Men Wear Gowns stories at WearTheGown.com.
© 2018 KENS-TV