San Antonio and Bexar County are set to ring in the New Year and kick off a year-long Tricentennial commemoration in style with award-winning acts that will headline Celebrate 300, the free and family-friendly outdoor New Year’s Eve festival and concert in the heart of downtown at Hemisfair.
The Tricentennial Commission released the official schedule of events, transit and parking information for attendees.
CELEBRATE 300 GENERAL INFORMATION:
- Gates open at 4 p.m.
- Festival ends at the conclusion of the midnight fireworks spectacular
- Event will be held rain or shine
- A variety of food and beverage vendors will be located along Alamo Street starting at 4 p.m.
- Celebrate 300 is free and open to the public
The Yanaguana Garden at Hemisfair will be transformed into the Tricentennial Garden area and will feature family-friendly activities and acts including:
Yanaguana Garden Outdoor Theater
- 6 p.m. Home Alone
- 8 p.m. BIG
- 10:15 p.m. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
Magik Theatre, 420 S. Alamo
- 6:30 p.m. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- 8:30 p.m. A Christmas Carol
Two stages at Hemisfair will feature local, regional and national award winning performers as follows:
- 4:15 p.m. Sam Riggs
- 5:05 p.m. BillyRay Sheppard
- 5:50 p.m. Mayor Nirenberg delivers brief remarks
- 6 p.m. Flaco Jimenez Y Su Conjunto
- 6:30 p.m. Presentation of Colors
- 6:35 p.m. Little Joe Y La Familia
- 7:45 p.m. The Last Bandoleros
- 9 p.m. Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo
- 10:25 p.m. Mayor Nirenberg and County Judge Wolff deliver brief remarks
- 10:45 p.m. REO Speedwagon
- 11:59 p.m. Mayor Nirenberg and family lead the countdown to 2018
- Midnight Fireworks Spectacular
In coordination with the San Antonio Police Department SAPD and key downtown stakeholders, the Tricentennial Commission is providing the following traffic and security information and encourages event-goers to plan ahead to ensure a safe experience for attendees, spectators, vendors and first responders:
This year’s New Year’s Eve footprint is distinct in that it’s fully gated with a full security screening and bag checks in place. This enhancement will elevate the guest experience and provide additional safety and security.
No weapons, fireworks, bicycles, chairs, ice chests/coolers, oversized bags, glass containers, drones, animals (other than service animals), outside food/beverages/alcohol or smoking will be allowed inside the event.
Clear bags are strongly encouraged at this event. Individuals carrying a clear bag will be granted expedited access inside the event grounds.
Four event entrances are located as follows: East Market Street, Alamo & Market, Alamo & Nueva, and Nueva Street northeast of Yanaguana.
For the safety of all guests, all patrons and carry items are subject to inspection.
- VIA Park & Ridespecial event bus service will be available to the New Year’s Eve event.
- Service will be provided from the following three locations:
- Crossroads Mall Park & Ride, 151 Crossroads Blvd
- Madla Park & Ride, 1584 Cantrell across from South Park Mall
- AT&T Center Park & Ride, 1 AT&T Center Parkway
- The Park & Ride drop-off and pick-up location will be near the Celebrate 300 event at the Robert Thompson Transit Center, 183 Montana Street
- Service from the Park & Ride locations begins at 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 31. Return service from the Thompson Center will run until 1:30 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2018.
- The special event fare is $5 round-trip for adults (two one-way trips of $2.50 each).
- A discount fare of $2.50 round-trip (two one-way trips of $1.25 each) is available for children ages 5-11 as well as senior citizens 62 years and older, Medicare recipients, persons with disabilities and students with a valid VIA ID.
- Accommodations will be made for elderly individuals and for those with limited mobility at VIA Park & Ride locations and at the Thompson Transit Center. VIA Shuttles will be available to transport individuals with mobility limitations.
- Visit VIA's website or contact VIA Customer Service at 210-362-2020 for more information.
Ride Share drop-off areas include:
- Lot on Commerce and IH-37 near the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
- Alamo Plaza on Houston by the Emily Morgan Hotel
- Villita Street between Navarro and St. Mary’s
- Commerce Street between Bowie and Alamo
- Alamo Plaza on Blum near the Menger Hotel
- Secure bike check-in located on Alamo Street between Cesar Chavez and Nueva
- Public transportation is encouraged as there will be limited parking available downtown.
- A full list of City-owned garages and lots is available at www.sanantonio.gov/CCDO/parking/parkingmap. Note that a $5 event rate at all city owned lots and garages will be in place on Dec. 31. Alamodome parking for the event will be free of charge.
- Several privately owned lots and garages are also available for a fee. Parking fees associated with privately owned lots or garages are not controlled by the City or the Commission.
- Two major street closures will take place on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017 to Monday, Jan. 1, 2018:
- Alamo from Cesar Chavez to Market from 6 a.m. Sunday - 7 a.m. Monday
- Market from Presa to Bowie, 3 p.m. Sunday - 2 a.m. Monday
- There will be a temporary closure of a portion of the southbound Access road to IH-37 near Cesar Chavez and a portion of Cesar Chavez between 11:30 p.m. and 12:45 a.m. for fireworks fall out
CELEBRATE 300 VIP TENT:
- Ticketed, VIP experience is available for purchase for $150 per person until Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017.
- Tickets for the enhanced experience may be purchased here or visit this website and click on “Buy VIP Tickets."
- A covered, red carpet experience with comfort lounge seating including catered food throughout the evening, three beverage tickets per person, a champagne toast, and Tricentennial commemorative items are included.
- Private restroom will be available
Download the Tricentennial app to get alerts about upcoming events, purchase official SA300 Gear, sign up to become a volunteer and learn about the rich history of San Antonio and Bexar County directly from your mobile device.
Visit sanantonio300.org for up-to-date information on Celebrate 300 and 2018 events.
© 2018 KENS-TV