Neighbor's 4th of July Bottle Rocket sparks house fire in Kirby

A family of four was inside when they say a Good Samaritan from down the street started banging on the door, telling them their house was on fire.

KIRBY - A Kirby family says a neighbor's illegal firework is to blame for their house catching fire, causing $100,000 in damages.
 
A bottle rocket landed on a piece of furniture outside, starting the blaze.
 
The family of four was inside when they say a Good Samaritan from down the street started banging on their front door telling them their house was on fire.
 
The fire started in front of the garage when a bottle rocket landed underneath a love seat sitting outside, sparking the blaze.
 
The family had two SUV's in the driveway, and after just minutes next to the flames, the front of both cars melted.
 
Crews arrived shortly after 10 p.m. to the home in the 5100 block of Gordon Cooper.
 
"As the fire developed, it burned up the wall and got into the attic space," Bexar County Fire Marshal Chris Lopez said.
 
The homeowner, who did not wish to speak on camera, says every year bottle rockets from a neighbor's home land on her roof.
 
"The neighbors behind them were launching bottle rockets and all kinds of fireworks. They do it every year and this was just the year the house caught fire," neighbor, Ramzy Ftaiti said.
 
Ftaiti lives across the street and brought the family water after the blaze.
 
"Everyone down here, even while the fire was going, just down the road they were popping fireworks," Ftaiti said.
 
Just like San Antonio, it's illegal to pop fireworks inside Kirby city limits.
 
Lopez said this is the perfect example of what can happen when people don't follow the rules.
 
"Folks don't understand and maybe they don't realize if they're reckless about the way they utilize fireworks and they cause somebody's home to burn, they could be charged with arson for recklessly causing a fire," Lopez said. "Not only do you have the possibility of ruining someone else's home and their property, but there could be criminal charges filed."
 
A firefighter from the Kirby Fire Department was taken to the hospital after a piece of sheet rock fell on his head. As of Wednesday morning, he's in good condition.
 
In the future, if you have trash from fireworks, Lopez recommends you douse all of it with water. That's because another fire from overnight started from within one of the mortar tubes from a firework.
 
Most of the fire calls last night were fireworks-related, said Lopez. There were no major injuries.
 
In the next steps in the investigation, officials will start looking for surveillance video to track down exactly where the bottle rocket came from.
 
Typically, aerial fireworks cause the most fires, which is why they are prohibited during a burn ban. Currently, Bexar County is not under a burn ban.

© 2017 KENS-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment