HUNT, Texas -- While the majority of people were watching football Sunday afternoon, the tiny, unincorporated town of Hunt was doing something big by helping out two of their own residents.
A barbecue fundraiser was held for a father and daughter who were injured when their house caught on fire in July. Both suffered burns on more than 50 percent of their bodies.
The day after the fire, CW Minter said an area church mulled around ideas on how to help the victims and their family. They contacted the Volunteer Fire Department, who was also thinking of fundraising ideas.
“Well that is all that is necessary in a community like this is for someone to say we need [help],” Minter said.
In about a month, a barbecue was planned for Sept. 9.
Nearly 600 residents attended the fundraiser on Sunday. Minter somberly reminded everyone why they were eating barbecue,
"The little girl is doing better than the father. She’s doing surgeries about every seven days," he said. "[The dad] had lung damage from heat and smoke ... at last report. He was talking to people but he is a lot worse off than she is.”
The 12-year old girl was taken to Shriners Children’s hospital in Galveston. The father was taken to San Antonio Military Medical Center.