Tenant blows whistle, alerts others to east-side apartment fire

Print
Email
|

by Jenny Suniga/KENS 5

kens5.com

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 17 at 12:07 PM

SAN ANTONIO -- Nearly a dozen people were evacuated early Thursday morning at the Delmar Apartment complex after a storage unit caught fire. Investigators are calling the blaze 'suspicious.'

San Antonio fire officials said the blaze was sparked when a water heater exploded in one of the storage units.

Fire crews doused the blaze quickly but several residents had to be evacuated while firefighters battled the flames.

"I was asleep and I just heard the guys telling everyone to get out. I got a whistle and started blowing it and I started banging on everyone's door," said Eduardo Gonzalez, a tenant at the apartments.

Gonzalez said he is concerned for his safety because this is the second fire at the apartment complex in two weeks. On January 8, someone lit a trashcan on fire in the laundry room.

Residents were allowed back in once the fire was put out. One family was displaced and are being moved into another unit.

Estimated damages are at about $7,000. So far no arrests have been made in this investigation.
 

Print
Email
|