SAN ANTONIO – A worker at SeaWorld San Antonio died from apparent electrical shock at the park on Saturday morning, officials confirmed.
The Bexar County Medical Examiner's office identified the deceased as Ricardo Corpus. He was 49.
San Antonio police Officer Matt Porter said Corpus was electrocuted around noon while servicing the HVAC unit atop the SeaWorld employee café.
Corpus allegedly stuck his hand inside the unit to get a measurement. Another employee who was working with the victim told police that he heard a noise, saw a puff of smoke and then found Corpus unconcious.
Porter said Corpus was removed from the roof and pronounced dead at the scene from apparent electrical shock.
SeaWorld San Antonio issued this statement following the accident:
“The staff at SeaWorld San Antonio is deeply saddened by today’s loss of one of our employees. The incident, which occurred this morning in an employee area, did not involve any other employees, guests or animals. We extend our deepest sympathies to the family."
A medical helicopter landed at SeaWorld around noon but did not trasport anybody to the hospital.