West Nile virus claims second victim in Bexar County

Print
Email
|

by Brian New / KENS 5

kens5.com

Posted on August 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Updated Tuesday, Aug 28 at 8:09 PM

SAN ANTONIO - A second death in Bexar County has been linked to the West Nile virus. 

On Tuesday, Metro Health confirmed a 78-year-old woman has died from the virus. 

In all, Metro Health has confirmed eight cases of the virus in humans in Bexar County – doubling the number of previously reported cases.

In Schertz, a suspected case of the virus had neighbors concerned about a pool at an abandoned home in the Oak Forest Neighborhood.

Several neighbors reported it to city hall after they said the dirty stagnant water has sat in the pool for weeks.

Schertz EMS Director Dudley Wait said after several attempts to reach the homeowner, on Friday the city treated the pool.

"We have treated several private pools with the larvicide pucks,” said Wait. “So the city is being proactive upon reports around town."

While San Antonio began fogging areas for mosquitoes this week, the City of Schertz for now is sticking with an educational campaign and responding to citizens’ reports of stagnant water.

Wait said the city would consider wide-spread spraying if more cases within the city limits are identified.


The City of Olmos Park says they are coordinating with other small cities to deal with the threat of the West Nile virus. For now, they said, they are using pellets placed in storm drains to kill mosquitoes. According to city officials this technique is safer and less expensive than spraying. They said spraying only kills adult mosquitoes that come in direct contact with the chemicals.
 

Print
Email
|