IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. – Detectives say a middle school student in Iredell County became sick after consuming candy that tests show had trace amounts of bath salts.
The mother of the West Iredell Middle School student came to police on September 14 when her son became sick after getting the candy at school.
After several tests, the crime lab found that the piece of candy—which had powder to dip the candy into—had small trace amounts of Dihyldrocodeinone, commonly known as Hydrocodone.
A level of alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenon---known as bath salts-- was also present, according to the crime lab.
"It appears the powdered candy, had been mixed with a crushed Hydrocodone tablet, and an alpha PVP,” said the Sheriff’s Office in a statement.
No one has been charged in the drug investigation, and officials said there is inconsistent information being provided to detectives.
“Initial indications are that the victim was sharing the candy with other students at the school and the candy originated from a party outside of school,” said the Sheriff’s Office. “It is unclear at this point if the student knew what he was ingesting. The candy was not being sold or marketed at the school, and appears to be an isolated incident.”