SAN ANTONIO -- A sleigh used to rally toy donations for the holidays has burnt down.
Firefighters were called to the Jon Wayne Heating and Air Conditioning facilities off Highway 87 on Saturday night in report of a fire in the garage.
Don Rackler, the owner of the business, said it wasn't the building that was on fire. Instead, their Christmas sleigh went up in flames.
"We brought it over to fix some lighting and stuff on Friday, and evidently there must have been some kind of short,” Rackler said.
The sleigh is the size of a truck and is fully drivable and street legal. The company uses it to help several non-profit organizations in fundraising efforts during the holidays with toy drives and sleigh rides.
Now the sleigh is in shambles at the time possible. It was scheduled for at least 12 events before Christmas, including KENS 5's Bill's Elves toy drive.
One group that wanted to use the sleigh is LV Angels, a non-profit that collects clothing and gifts for kids in need in the La Vernia area. Shannon Kosub said her organization has drop-off collections at some H-E-B stores. The sleigh served as an attraction for their donation drive.
Without the sleigh, Kosub is trying to figure out alternate plans for the Dec. 6 event. But Rackler said he's set on doing whatever he can to get the sleigh up and running once again.
He plans on having the one-of-a-kind drivable sleigh fixed as fast as he can before December.
Shannon Kosub said, “That would be heaven-sent if it got fixed by December the sixth. That would be wonderful. In fact, that’s what we pray for."