SAN ANTONIO -- According to AAA, about 2.5 million Texans took to the highways this Labor Day weekend.
Chances are, they encountered a few traffic jams along the way -- especially if they were passing through Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth.
The state's two largest metro areas mostly dominate the TxDOT's list of 100 Most Congested Roadway Segments in Texas, with San Antonio and Bexar County taking only nine spots in that list.
The worst of the worst in San Antonio, coming in at 31 in the state, is the stretch of I-35 from Loop 1604 to 3009. Right behind it at 32 is a stretch of US 281 from Loop 1604 to Stone Oak Parkway.
Other stretches of highway in Bexar County include:
- I-35 from Loop 1604 to Loop 410 on the northeast side (#33)
- I-35 downtown from I-10 to US 281/37 (#35)
- I-10 from Loop 410 to Loop 1604 on the northwest side (#58)
- Loop 410 from I-10 to US 281 (#60)
- I-35 from US 281 to Loop 410 (#69)
- Loop 345 from Loop 410 to I-10 (#77)
- Hwy. 16 from Loop 1604 to Loop 410 (#99)
Much to the surprise of many, not one mile of Loop 1604 was mentioned in the study.
Visit the TxDOT website for a complete list of the state's most congested roadways.