SAN ANTONIO -- Firefighters were called to a four-plex in the 1100 block of Groos Avenue on the city's south side shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday.
Residents said they think the fire began in one of the units due to an electrical outlet for the A/C unit.
There were no injuries reported, but one of the resident's dogs was unlikely to make it due to its injuries.
Neighbors said one woman went banging on doors trying to get people out. She wasn’t able to find her way out through the thick smoke and had to jump a fence to escape.
Residents said about 20 people lived in the complex.
Sarah Ocampo said her family scrambled to get out of their apartment. They were able to get three of her dogs out, but one didn’t survive.
Residents said the fire started at an electrical outlet that had an air-conditioning unit plugged into it. Ocampo said this wasn’t the first time the outlet has had sparks flying out of it.
“Every time you’d mess with it, it would spark," she said. "And you don’t want to touch it. It would be duct-taped down. And we would not want to touch it."
There's been no word on the total damage sustained in the blaze.