SAN ANTONIO -- A mother and her 4-year-old son were treated for smoke inhalation after their apartment caught on Thursday, firefighters say.
San Antonio firefighters said heavy smoke and flames were coming from a fourplex in the 5200 block of Meadow Field when they arrived just before noon on Thursday.
Hazel Ruiz, a neighbor, said she was worried about the child.
"I didn't realize how bad the fire was," she said. "My boyfriend came in and tried to go in because we thought the baby was in there and the smoke was too tremendous. He couldn't go in. He couldn't go in at all."
Both the mother and the child escaped the blaze, however, they were unable to return to their apartment. The Red Cross was called to help them find a place to stay.