A few nights ago, I spent an evening of fun conversation with two hundred college students at a local university. This was a fun bunch of communications students who'd invited me to speak.
Wow, they had a lot of good questions for me.
The students interested in TV careers asked quite a few of the same questions I'd heard before:
"How did you get started?"
"What kind of courses did you take?"
"What's the most interesting thing that's happened to you live?"
Easy questions. Easy answers. Then, from the back of the room, a rather eccentric looking young man stood up and yelled loudly, "Tell us 20 interesting things about you that no one knows!"
Some people laughed...but most of the crowd gave a collective..."Ooooooh."
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Had I walked into the actor's studio with James Lipton?
I stood there for a minute, puzzled and speechless:
"I've never really thought about this!" I said.
20 things that people may not know about me but are interesting enough to share? Seriously? How would I come up with a list that fast?
Besides, it sounded a little self-serving to try to come up with 20 things that I find interesting about ME... and, honestly, who really cares?
Well, they did.
Surprisingly, I began to rack my brain and found it to be a rather terrific little exercise in self examination.
See if you can come up with your own list of 20 things other people might find interesting about you.
Go ahead..be self-indulgent!
(You have to be)
1. I am deathly afraid of possums
2. I am not afraid of snakes
3. I once took a 6 hour trip across California with a doctor who'd operated on Tejano Star Selena
4. I've only truly been in love once in my life.
5. I'm a pianist, who at the age of 10, taught myself to play a Hammond B3 organ
6. When I send money to charities, I never include my name.
7. The first fan mail I received as a reporter, was a handwritten note from Red McCombs
8. I once auditioned for a soap opera as a dare, and got the part.
9. I've seen the movie "The Shining" 16 times
10. One of my best summers was spent hosting a game show with Bill Taylor out at Sea World
11. Five days a week, I prayed in a chapel on the campus of St. Mary's University before my day began
12. A nun once spanked me with a ruler and I've never forgotten it
13. I studied Latin in 8th grade and can still read it to this day
14. I once did a live interview with a famous country music star who was drunk on the red carpet.. Two days later, she was arrested for a DWI.
15. My great grandfather founded one of the largest printing, oil, and insurance companies in Columbus, Miss. His family owned more than a hundred slaves
16. Julio Iglesias kissed me on the cheek in a Target
17. One of the most interesting conversations I've ever had was with a vampire on a subway in New York
18. I wore braces for 5 years
19. When I was in college I was hit by a drunk driver who fled the scene of the accident
20. When I was born, the late-singer James Brown, who was a friend of my father's, paid the hospital bill as a gift to my Mom and Dad.