SAN ANTONIO - Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff released a letter sent to the commissioner of Major League Soccer, saying the county "would not have invested in Toyota Field" without having a clear path to MLS.
In the letter, dated Oct. 27, Wolff said Bexar County is "asking for clarification" on the status of San Antonio's bid for a Major League Soccer expansion franchise.
This comes after the owner of MLS's Columbus Crew, Anthony Precourt, announced earlier this month that he is considering moving the franchise to Austin.
Wolff also said in the letter that Precourt and the University of Texas have already reached an agreement to use the university's facilities in 2019.
"It has been widely reported that Precourt, whom you appointed to the MLS expansion committee, obtained a legal right to relocated the Columbus Crew to Austin when he purchased the franchise in 2013. If these reports are accurate, that presents a clear conflict of interest," Wolff said.
Wolff goes on to say that had Bexar County officials been aware of this, the county would not have made preparations to bring MLS to Toyota Field.
Despite these concerns, Wolff said he is still committed to bringing MLS to San Antonio.
As KENS 5 reported, Bexar County has pursued an MLS franchise over the past couple of years, purchased Toyota Field and submitted an application.
The Bexar County Criminal District Attorney's Office is also reportedly investigating this issue. It's not clear yet when MLS will respond to the county's concerns.