SAN ANTONIO -- “He was always helpful. He always helped everybody. He could never say no to nobody. All the time.”

That’s what Isidro Zarate’s widow, Lisa Benavides, told KENS 5 on Saturday as she mourned the loss of her husband.

"I know I'm being selfish but why did he have to go help?" she said.

Benavides said that her husband had a disabling leg injury and he had trouble walking, so when she wanted to do a little shopping, he dropped her off at the front door of the store.

About 30 minutes later, Benavides said that she walked back out of the store and found her car surrounded by police.

"So I started running. I went underneath the line and somebody told me you can't go back there because it's a crime scene,” she recalled. “I just ran and the officer just caught me. I just broke down and I couldn't believe that it was my husband.”

The 39-year old father of their four children has been the light of her life for 22 years.

“He was the love of my life. He was my other half. Now he's gone and I don't know what to do,” Benavides said.

She added that her husband was a man who used humor to get through life, not violence.

“He would always try to talk it out, not to get too out of hand. He was always trying to calm everybody down,” she said. “He was not a fighter. He was a talker. He would say jokes.”

Benavides said that she’s been told that her husband did not suffer. She said that investigators on the scene told her Zarate was shot in the neck and that he died almost instantly.

Benavides says she finds very little comfort in the arrest of a suspect.

“It can't bring him back. He's still gone.” Benavides said.

The man charged in connection with this case, remains jailed with bonds totaling $600,000.

Jail records show 21-year-old Teles Mandan Juarez is charged with murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Police said Juarez was arrested without incident in west San Antonio near Castroville and Cupples after a police helicopter pursuit.

There were two other women injured in the attack. Police say one woman was wounded by a stray bullet and another young woman was injured by shrapnel from flying glass.

There’s no word on the condition of those two.

The family is trying to raise enough money for funeral expenses for this family man who was a peaceful person and a good role model.

A GoFundMe account has been established by the family.