The ugly gun battle between armed attacker Andrew Bice and two San Antonio police officers happened on a beautiful afternoon in a crowded urban block. Eyewitness Janette Flores said she was just 17 tiny steps from the vicious attack.

Flores said that she was sitting on her porch when she saw the gunman open fire and she calls it unbelievable.

"It all kind of took place right here," Flores recalled standing near the curb line of the 100 block of West Evergreen Street.

Flores said that the two men involved in the attack on officers Miguel Moreno and Julio Cavazos walked right by her patio.

“These guys just started walking by and it was just a regular day. The cops pulled up behind them. I'm not thinking, like, anybody's going to shoot anybody or anything like that and then just three shots. Boom! Boom! Boom! And I'm like, what the hell? And me and my boyfriend were outside and he's like 'Let's go inside.' So we ran inside,” Flores said.

Flores noted that she moved from east San Antonio looking for a safer environment.

"We usually have a lot of foot traffic out here. And people walk their dogs and it's like a safe area, you know. So me and multiple people who have their windows open or were just walking their dogs or just walking around, got to see it from every angle and it was like, woo, insane," Flores said.

Flores added that one of the most shocking sites is a bullet mark in a heavy metal railing just a few feet away from her front door.

“It wasn't there before that. It's crazy, what it can do to this metal. Imagine what it can do to somebody's body. That's insane," said Flores, who was shocked at how quickly the situation turned so deadly. “It took literally four seconds and all that stuff happened.

“You see these things on the news and you see them all over the world. You read articles or videos but you don't see them happen in front of your face. It was, and it still is, surreal. I didn't go to sleep until like 4 o'clock in the morning."

Flores said that when the smoke cleared, it was obvious to all the witnesses that Moreno would probably not survive his injuries. She expressed a deep sense of sadness for the loss to his family.

She also said that she and her neighbors are very relieved that police were able to return fire and neutralize Bice. Flores said that she is also glad that the other man arrested by police was taken into custody quickly and without incident.

As the memorial outside her door grows, with floral arrangements and wreaths and candles, Flores said she is comforted by the fact that her neighbors are united in their grief.