SAN ANTONIO -- Otis Tyrone McKane, the accused killer in the ambush of a San Antonio police detective, got married just hours before his arrest.

Detective Benjamin Marconi was shot twice inside his patrol vehicle as he wrote a traffic ticket in front of police headquarters.

KENS 5 obtained a copy of the marriage license Tuesday morning from the Bexar County Clerk.

The license, between 31-year-old Otis Tyron McKane and Christian Chanel Fields, says they married Monday, November 21 at 9:57 a.m.; That's less than 24 hours after Detective Marconi was murdered.

McKane is accused of pulling up behind Marconi's patrol car, walking up to the officer's window and shooting him twice in the head.

"This is cold, calculated murder. This was an execution. This was evil," Bexar County District Attorney Nico LaHood said.

LaHood was a part of the conglomeration of law enforcement agencies who tracked McKane down to the area of I-10 just inside 1604 about 28 hours after the ambush.

"It was a war room. I mean, think about that. That's the best way I could describe it. It was a war room. We had stuff on the walls," LaHood described. "The bad pride, the selfish pride, it was checked in at the door. What do we do? Everybody said, 'Ok, there's a lead. We're gonna listen to the captain."

Hours after his picture had appeared all over the media in the manhunt, McKane walked into the Bexar County Courthouse and married Christian Chanel Fields.

"It tells me that there was very little, if any thought, into what [McKane] did and clearly no remorse for what he did," San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said.

Fields is no stranger to crime, herself. She was arrested on theft charges in Harris County.

In a press conference on Monday evening, Chief McManus would not identify the relationship between the woman and child found inside the white Buick with McKane. But in pictures of the arrest, the woman with McKane does look like a mugshot of Fields.

"The ultimate decision on whether this office will seek death or life will be my decision," LaHood said.

SAPD continues to sift through evidence before the case is handed over to the DA's office for an arraignment.

LaHood says, in practicality, there will not be an arraignment of a plea of guilty or not guilty.

"There will be a first court setting, but in cases like this they kind of get on a different track," LaHood noted. "It doesn't go down the normal track in any court and all the judges know that because you're not gonna have normal settings. If this goes forward, depending on what I ultimately decide, death or life, that will put us on a different track."

Once the case is handed over to the DA's office from SAPD, it will go through layers of evaluation before a final decision is made: Life without parole or the death penalty.

"I believe this individual has a depraved heart, what I call a seared conscience. They don't look at the world the way that we do,” LaHood said. “This is not acceptable. I can assure you my tendency is to hold this individual accountable for the max."

LaHood added that he plans to meet with Marconi's family as this capital murder case moves forward.

"I'm not looking to waste any time, but I need to make sure things are done appropriately," LaHood said.

Otis McKane requested a court-appointed attorney. His bond has been raised to $2 million.