As thousands across the country celebrate National Taco Day on Oct. 4, San Antonians sit back and laugh because we celebrate it every day.
From early mornings to late nights, tacos are the go-to meal for many, if not all, San Antonians.
So, what makes San Antonio THE taco city? We’ll give you five reasons.
1. For starters, a San Antonio woman was a finalist in this year’s Lay’s Do Us a Flavor contest when she created the Crispy Taco-flavored chip.
2. How about the Twisted Taco Truck Throwdown? It is a day dedicated to competing for the best tacos in town. It's also more than another reason to stuff your face with the best tacos ever. It also raises money for VFW Post 76, which provides veterans in need with assistance and offers youth scholarships.
3. We also have the Cowboy Breakfast! Who else in the nation would wake up to eat tacos at 4:30 in the morning? No one but San Antonians! For the last 39 years, tens of thousands have been shuttled to Cowboys Dancehall every January to partake in this free community event.
4. Speaking of early risers, you cannot forget our breakfast tacos. We even put ours to the test against Austin, a city that claims to have better tacos than San Antonio. That’s definitely a lie. From chorizo and egg to bean and cheese, you can’t beat a taco for breakfast, especially in the Alamo City.
5. We love tacos so much, we put it on walls. You can’t come to the Alamo City and not take a picture in front of the icon in “I love tacos so much” wall at Viva Tacoland. The wall is not only a stable at the popular taco location, but it has garnered international attention and has even given back in times of need, like after Hurricane Harvey hit Houston.
Whether you’re eating them or using them to raise money, we can all agree that we don’t need one day to celebrate because to us, National Taco Day is every day.